In addition to traditional courses and labs, I have successfully experimented class projects guided by real-life applications.
An example is the IMT-Total challenge in data sciences, created with Michel Lutz at Total. It is a pedagogical challenge opened to the students of Mines-Telecom Institute. Prizes consist of internships at Total. The winners are selected in a two-stage procedure:
- First round: 10 students were selected according to quantitative performance results.
- Second round: 3 of them are selected based on a technical report explaining their methodology.
Two other projects were presented in the lively Francophone workhop about Pedagogy at University Questions de pédagogie dans l’enseignement supérieur. They address two main questions:
- How to read efficiently a reference book in statistical learning?
- “Un APP avec transmission croisée visant à s’approprier un ouvrage de référence”, O. Roustant, A. Badea (2015), proceedings of the 8th colloquium Questions de pédagogie dans l’enseignement supérieur, Brest, June 17-19.
- How to integrate disciplinary knowledge to solve a real-life problem?
- “Un exemple de pré-projet en école d’ingénieurs“, O. Roustant, L. Carraro, A. Rodriguez (2007), proceedings of the 4th colloquium Questions de pédagogie dans l’enseignement supérieur, Louvain-la-neuve (Belgium), January 24-26.